Taking care of yourself should never be at the expense of others or the environment. That really is the heart of what sustainable self-care means. Since our skin absorbs up to 64% of what you put on it, it also means being very intentional about what you put on your body — from cruelty free to non-toxic ingredients. All said, it’s clearly the time to clean up your self-care regimen.
Here are 5 ways you can be more sustainable with your clean routine.
- Use products made with natural or organic, plant-derived ingredients. You’ll be giving yourself self-care that not only feels good, performs well, you’re using ingredients that align with nature and are actually good for your body and don’t poison the planet. Instead of chemicals, you’re infusing vitamins, minerals, plant extracts and skin-loving ingredients into your body that has a feel-good effect that extends to your spirit as well.
- Use products that are cruelty free. Sustainability means taking care of our planet, and all the living things on it. There is no place for animal testing in a soulful, sustainable world.
- Just say no to chemical, unnatural ingredients. Using body washes and soaps that are non-toxic with no harmful chemicals is key — not only because we absorb 64% of what goes on our body and could eventually make us sick, but the chemical waste can destroy our planet.
- Opt for a shower to save water. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a full bathtub requires about 70 gallons of water, while taking a five-minute shower uses 10 to 25 gallons.
- Find eco-friendly packaging and re-use containers. Currently only an estimate of 14% of plastic gets recycled. Re-use is the best way to live a sustainable lifestyle.