Spa days, massages, facial treatments and expensive, trending beauty products are all part of magical self care rituals, but self care doesn’t have to be a splurge to have meaning and be effective. In fact, the best kind of self care are often the consistent things we can do from home, any day of the week and where cost isn’t a factor.
We’ve curated a list of some of the best low cost or no-cost self care ideas. Plan something just for you, every day and the benefits of loving and caring for yourself will keep growing. You deserve this.
•Meditation or breathing exercises for 10 minutes after waking. This will help center you, set your intentions and set the tone for your entire day. Even better if you think of 3 things you’re grateful for while you’re at it.
•Take a bath. Baths are so restorative both physically and mentally. Add some of our incredibly affordable Bath Fizzes, Foaming Bath or detoxifying Unfiltered Salt Soak for a special treat. The plant-derived ingredients nourish your skin while the scents uplift your spirits and refresh your soul.
•Deep condition your hair. How often do you use a masque on your hair? Give yourself an extra 10-15 minutes before you shower and use a face mask along with a hair masque to deep condition and restore your hair’s life and shine. Good hair days are pure confidence.
•Unplug. Turning off the phone for a period of time every day will quickly become addictive. At first, you may have a minor freak out, but when you see the world does not end when you unplug, you’ll come to relish the time unattached to responding and reacting.
•Eat intentionally. Is the food you put in your mouth caring for your body or is it a craving? Choose to cook yourself a warm, delicious meal instead of reaching for the craving that may or may not be an emotional reaction. Your eating will become more and more conscious every time you thoughtfully choose what to put in your body. Weekly meal prepping is also a great way to show yourself some serious love.
•Stargaze. Wrap yourself up in a blanket or jacket and go out at night and watch the stars. Dream. Imagine. Wonder. Just be.
•Be in nature. Go for a walk, sit in the grass and look at flowers growing. Hug a tree, even. Nature is the soul’s most inspiring friend.
•Wash with an uplifting scent. All our products are formulated to fill your senses with touch, texture and scent. An uplifting scent that fills your shower and makes you take a deep breath of something beautiful is such a boost to your day. Smelling good and facing the world clean is the ultimate self-care and confidence boost.
•Buy yourself flowers or pick them wild. Don’t wait for someone else to bring them. Be your own secret admirer.
Come follow us online!
Is there such a thing as the Mango glow? Mangoes are full of 20 different minerals and vitamins, making it one of the most nutrient dense fruits available. The benefits from eating them are endless and the benefits for your skin are just as impressive. Check out just 10 of the ways your skin can benefit from using the King of Fruits in self care products.
- The Mango glow is real. The vitamins A, C and Beta Carotene all contribute to skin cell renewal giving skin radiance and glow.
- The abundance of vitamin A in mangoes can help improve fine lines and wrinkles, helping to keep skin elastic and firm.
- Mangoes are a great exfoliator. Not only the enzymes in mango help renew skin cells, it can also slough off dead skin, allowing new skin cells to emerge.
- Mango works as a natural astringent helping to clear up pores, blackheads and scarring.
- Mangoes vitamin A content can reduce the damage of UV rays and protects against free radicals.
- Mango extract is hydrating (thank you, vitamin E) and may help with skin tone.
- Mangoes have Vitamin B6 that reduces skin sebum (oily skin).
- The Magnesium in Mango helps reduce oil, acne and rosacea.
- Mangoes have vitamin K that help reduce stretch marks and may have a positive effect on spider veins.
- Mangoes are high in both antioxidants and phytochemicals that protect the body from free radicals that damage the skin and induce premature aging.
- Wake up naturally, preferably with the sun and first thing, make yourself some warm lemon water. It clears night time sluggishness and helps your body wake up your digestive track. Not to mention, provides a good boost of vitamin C.
- Take 15 or 20 minutes to do some gentle stretching, deep breathing and meditation. When you begin the day with intention, its a game changer. Start with simple deep breathing as you stretch and wake up your body. Then be still, get comfortable and meditate — start with a list of a few things that you are you grateful for, including your own body; visualize and feel the emotions of gratitude and sending out love and kindness in to the world. To go even further, visualize all the things you’d like to have happen in your perfect day.
- Take a shower or bath using natural lemon products to lift your spirits. The scent of lemon has an uplifting affect on your mind as well as a detoxifying affect on your body. Raw Sugar has an entire line of Lemon Sugar scented natural products from Body Wash, Bar Soap and Sugar Scrub to Lotion, rich Body Butter and Natural Lip Balm. It will leave you feeling fresh, pampered and clear-headed.
- Eat the rainbow. December is a month where we’re all about comfort food and we often neglect our big, fresh salads loaded with veggies or fruits. If you need warmth, Add roasted veggies like squash, beets and carrots to a green salad topped with olive oil and lemon and a few walnuts for crunch.
- Take a walk in nature. Whether you head out your front door and cruise the neighborhood or drive to the beach or hills — it’s all good. The point is to be outside, look at the sky, notice the trees, feel the fresh air and breathe.
- To avoid the afternoon lull, eat something rich in protein (avoid anything sugary) Try a rice cake with nut butter, a hard boiled egg or your favorite protein smoothie.
- Move. Get some exercise. Put on some music, dance around the house, take a yoga class, spin or do whatever you love to do that moves your body and makes you feel alive.
- Cook for yourself and eat dinner on the early side. The simple act of cooking something healthy and delicious for yourself has a profound effect on your self worth. It’s an act of love. Eating early will give your body a chance to digest and may help you have a more restful sleep as well.
- Unplug. At least one hour before you go to bed, unplug from your phone and other electronics. Light some candles. Have some tea. Put on soft music, read a book, write in a journal. Turning off from the constant buzz of electronics alone can help you feel more mindful and in control.
- Take a minute to reflect. When you take life more slowly and practice some self care are your body and spirit more aligned? Do you feel kinder thoughts about yourself and others?
- Go to bed early. Getting enough sleep not only helps your immune system, it has the biggest affect on your overall health from body to brain. Making a commitment to resting and getting enough sleep is the single most important thing you can do for your well being.
Image from: https://veganliftz.com
Charcoal and Bamboo don’t sound like the typical beauty product ingredients — even for men. But when you get down to it, research is showing these ingredients are supercharged self-care enhancers and have recently shown up in everything from body washes to $100+ face creams.
- Charcoal is the ultimate deep cleanser. Charcoal penetrates the skin pulling out congestion that can cause enlarged pores, redness and contribute to dull, uneven skin tone. It’s extremely effective at purifying the skin.
- Charcoal is major detoxifier. Toxins actually bind to Charcoal drawing out bacteria, poisons, chemicals and other micro particles to the surface thus detoxifying skin, leaving you with a flawless complexion.
- Bamboo is rich in natural silica, an ingredient that can help give your skin a radiant glow. Silica also aids in the production of collagen which firms your skin, giving it a more youthful bounce.
- Bamboo extract also acts as a powerful antioxidant, which in turn helps keep your skin safe from damaging free radicals.
- Bamboo extract is hydrating and has an anti-bacterial properties giving it the ability to heal skin.
Want to give it a try? Our Raw Men Body Wash in Charcoal + Bamboo is detoxifying, deep cleansing and hydrating, made with plant-derived ingredients including Charcoal and Bamboo extracts. Find it here.
We’ve waved goodbye to the good vibes of summer so your skin may start to feel a little drier and maybe even itchy and irritated. Skin reacts to the environment so as fall arrives, we need to look at our skincare routine and make adjustments now to keep skin and hair soft, supple and protected in the cooler, drier weather ahead. Here are a few fall beauty hacks that may help.
Consider a thicker moisturizer. You need to pick the right products for the right time and weather. Light hydration may be perfect for sweat-prone summer skin, but when fall arrives, a more luxurious body butter may be exactly what you need to hydrate, deeply nourish and form a layer of protection against dry air.
Exfoliate, but do it gently. You want to keep up an exfoliation regime in fall but using a product full of hydrating essential oils is key to reducing irritation. The Raw Sugar Sugar Scrubs are full of Cold Pressed enzyme-rich fruit oils that gently exfoliate but leave a soft protective moisture veil so skin is left glowing and revived rather than exfoliated and dry.
Add Vitamin C products to your routine. Vitamin C not only helps protect skin from free radicals, it evens out skin pigmentation, which helps to boost collagen production resulting in a brighter, happier skin.
Add a weekly hair masque. Hair gets just as dry as skin in autumn and winter months so adding a restorative hair masque once a week will help repair damage that dry weather does to keep your hair soft, shiny, bouncy and beautiful.
Buy a humidifier. Especially if you’re running a heater in the house or office, a humidifier will help keep skin from drying out while you work or sleep. Basically, the more moisture in the air, the more moisture in your skin.
Now that pumpkin-spice-everything season is here, it’s time to think about transitioning your skin from summer maintenance to fall care.
The change in weather can have drastic effects on your skin, with the main culprit being the drier, cooler air. The most important thing you can do now is start an exfoliation regime. And we mean exfoliate everything — body, lips, face, toes. If you keep up with exfoliation, you have a better shot at keeping the dry, dead skin from appearing that causes instant dullness. And we know you’re not dull. In fact, you were meant to shine.
Dry brushing is a technique you should take part in every morning if possible. It has amazing detox health benefits as well as helping to slough off dry, dead skin cells. But be gentle. Extra bonus points if you do it while thinking loving, kind thoughts to yourself.
In the shower be sure to use one of our gentle Sugar Scrubs to hydrate, nourish, exfoliate and leave skin with a supple, smooth, silky feel.
In dryer months, our body butter is pure bliss for your skin. It’s rich, luxurious texture sinks in to the skin beautifully, leaving dry, thirsty skin quenched and you feeling extra pampered.
For hair care, add our Healing Power Hair Masque to your routine for some extra hydration and protection against that crisp fall air that can leave hair feeling dry and lifeless.
Lips show signs of seasons change almost instantly so keep our natural Lip Balm in your purse, your car and your bath area so wherever you are you can swipe on the healing, hydrating and protective benefits of our 95% organic formulas.
Your Fall just got more beautiful with a little extra Raw Lovin and thoughtful care.
Summer is gone and you’re glowing, tan is waving goodbye as well.
If you’re thinking of self-tanning to keep your summer shine through the fall and winter months, we’ve got your secret weapon to make whatever tanner you use the slide on smoothly and evenly.
The key to any good self-tan is exfoliation! Our gentle Sugar Scrub is just the ticket to help you smooth rough patches and give you a soft, silky, supple base for your self-tanner.
Shave the day before you self tan, otherwise, self-tanner can get locked into hair follicles. Then use our gentle Sugar Scrub in your favorite fresh scent from toes to neck paying special attention to the rougher skin patches like the tops of your toes, knees, ankles, and elbows.
Use it regularly and your skin will feel soft, smooth, hydrated and prepped for your just back from the Bahamas glow. Happy tanning!
From bold ringlets to effortless beach waves, we’re all about embracing your hair’s natural texture. The only thing is, that texture is often accompanied by a side of frizz. While there’s nothing wrong with rocking a few flyaways (they’re only natural, after all), we suspect you’re reading this article because you’re keen to keep your locks looking smooth and shiny.
While you probably know exactly what frizz looks like, you may not yet understand what it is and why it happens. When your hair’s cuticle is lifted, moisture can penetrate the strand – causing it to swell up and become ‘frizzy’. That’s why you notice your hair reach peak frizz in the rain or humidity.
So, what’s the solution to keeping your hair free of frizz and full of oomph? Here are 10 effective ways to keep frizz at bay.
Pick a Nasty-Free Shampoo
Sulfates are your hair’s arch nemesis, so try and keep them away from your cherished tresses. Shampoos that hide sulfates as an ingredient work away at stripping and dehydrating your strands, which is not what you want when you’re looking to lock in moisture. For a natural, sulfate-free shampoo, try Raw Sugar Truly Unruly Shampoo.
Use a Nutrient-Rich Conditioner
When warding off frizz, the key is to keep good moisture inside your hair cuticles so that they don’t go looking for outside sources of moisture (hello humidity). Get friendly with a nutrient-dense, vitamin-packed conditioner that will hydrate and nourish your strands from root to tip. We recommend the Raw Sugar Truly Unruly Conditioner.
Masque More Than You Do Now
Hair masks are so important for thirsty, frizz-prone hair. Feeding your hair a weekly masque will fill the holes in your hair shaft that penetrate moisture in the air that result in frizz. Raw Sugar’s Healing Power Hair Masque in Avocado + Banana Oil + Coconut Milk + Agave has a formula that is made with ColdPressed ingredients that helps to repair overworked hair that’s in need of a little raw lovin’.
Skip your Next Shampoo Day
Psst. You’re about to learn a pretty big secret. You don’t actually need to wash your hair every day to keep it clean. Most conditioners include ingredients that cleanse your hair, so skip every second shampoo day and only condition instead to avoid your hair getting stripped of its essential oils.
Brush from the Bottom Up
Well-hydrated hair blocks humidity from reaching it. So next time you brush, flip your head down and do so from the bottom up. This will distribute the natural oils from your scalp into your ends – resulting in healthier looking locks.
Switch to a Silk Pillow
Cotton pillows tend to suck moisture out of your skin and hair. To help retain healthy levels of moisture, switch to a silk pillowcase. If that’s not an option, try a silk scarf around your pillow and let your frizz-free hair reap the benefits.
Wait a While Before Blow-Drying
It may sound counterintuitive, but blow-drying your hair can actually cause frizz to become worse. Too much heat on your strands will dehydrate them, especially if they’re soaking wet. If you have time, try to let your hair dry naturally before blasting hot air onto it – it’ll be left looking slicker and shinier.
Make Pins Your Friend
If you’d like to avoid loading your hair up with too much product, try smoothing out flyaways with pins instead – especially if you’re rocking an up-do. Have a box on pins on hand and within easy reach for when you need them.
Use the Body Lotion Trick
If you get caught in the rain, or if it’s a particularly humid day, avoid frizz from wreaking its havoc on your hair with a simple pump of hand or body lotion. Tie your hair up in a ponytail, squeeze some lotion into your palm, and smooth the ends of your hair out with it – being careful to run your fingers through it gently. It will look beautifully poised and polished.
Wrap It Up Into a Bun
Hot tools and hair appliances aren’t the best for your hair’s health. Keep it natural by wrapping your hair up into a bun while it’s still damp and allow it to dry up there. You’ll get beautiful, natural waves minus the frizz – or burnt out strands.