Spice up your end of summer yoga routine with these 5 energy boosting poses the have added muscle building and mood-lifting benefits.
Down dog split, knee to nose.
From downward-facing dog, inhale and lift your left leg as high as you can behind you while keeping your hips square. Exhale and slowly bring your left knee to your nose, drawing your belly in toward your spine. On your next inhale, lift your leg back up to down-dog split. Repeat 5 times, then switch sides and repeat.
Works legs, arms, shoulders, upper back, abs + butt.
Lie facedown, forehead resting on mat, arms on the floor by your sides, palms up. Exhale and bend your knees, bringing heels as close to your butt as you can. Reach back and take hold of your ankles, keeping knees hip-width apart. Inhale and lift your chest and thighs off the floor, pushing heels away from your butt. Make sure to keep your lower back relaxed, pressing your shoulder blades down and back. Continue to take deep inhales and exhales; work your way up to holding for 5 or more breaths. Slowly lower and release your ankles to return to start.
Works your back, chest, shoulders, arms, abs, legs, hips
Twisted Chair pose
Yoga’s version of the squat, improves the lymph system and the digestive system. It is a great way to work thighs, butt, abs and arms.
Inhale and raise your arms above your head, perpendicular to the floor. Exhale as you bend your knees, bringing your thighs as parallel to the floor as they can get. Your knees will project out slightly over your feet and your torso will form an approximate right angle over your thighs.
The shoulder send is known for boosting metabolism and balancing thyroid levels as it strengthens upper body, abs, legs and helps improve respiratory system and sleep.
- Begin by lying flat on your back with your legs extended and your arms at your sides, palms down. Bend your knees and place the soles of your feet flat on the floor.
- On an inhalation, use your abdominal muscles to lift your legs and hips off the floor. Curl your torso and bring your knees in toward your face. Then, lift your hips and bring your torso perpendicular to the floor.
- Bend your elbows and place your hands on your lower back with your fingertips pointing up toward the ceiling. Keep your elbows on the ground, shoulder-width apart. Do not let your elbows splay out to the sides.
- When you are comfortable, lift your thighs so they are vertical to the floor, keeping your knees bent. Draw your tailbone toward your pubic bone. Then, straighten your legs fully and reach your feet up to the ceiling. Lift through the balls of your feet.
- Try to bring your shoulders, hips, and feet into one line.
- Keep your head and neck in line with your spine and do not turn your head. Draw your shoulder blades firmly into your upper back. Keep a space between your chin and chest, and soften your throat. Gaze toward your chest.
- Hold the pose for 10-25 breaths.
A low lunge, works to lengthen your muscles while opening your heart and helps balance and concentration.
From Downward Facing Dog, step your right foot between your hands. Place your left knee down on the mat. Bring your hands to your right knee or sweep them up to the sky and hook your thumbs. Slide your shoulders down your back as you relax your forehead and jaw and look up slightly. Lift from the back of your heart, from the thoracic spine, to find a small backbend. Stay for 5 full breaths. Bring your hands back down to frame your right foot, tuck your left toe and step back to Down Dog. Repeat on the left side.
Tea Tree Oil could be the secret to healthy, happy hair and skin. It’s one of the plant-based wonders full of detoxifying, cleansing, healing and skin-soothing benefits. Tea Tree Oil is actually an extract of the Melaleuca plant that is full of antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It has become the go-to ingredient for natural, plant-based treatments for everything from dandruff to acne and skin irritations partly because of its nourishing, gentle nature.
We love it in our Scalp Restore Shampoo, Conditioner and Scalp Therapy Treatment because all the benefits add up to stronger, longer, healthier hair. Take a look at what it can do for your hair.
Hair Care Benefits of Tea Tree Oil:
- It’s a natural anti-inflammatory and antiseptic so it helps soothe an irritated, itchy scalp.
- It’s great for dandruff because it removes chemical build up and dead skin cells from the scalp, making it less prone to flaking.
- It has multiple properties that fight bacteria to help prevent skin irritations or other conditions such as dandruff, lice and psoriasis.
- It is a natural moisturizer and even though it’s a deep cleanser, it won’t dry out hair.
- It unclogs hair follicles and nourishes roots allowing for optimal hair growth.
- Tea Tree Oil improves overall scalp health by stimulating the scalp, increasing blood flow to the area and improving the condition of hair follicles.
- It leaves scalp tingly and calm at the same time.
The motto at Raw Sugar HQ is “lead with love.” And love is how the company began… it was founded by partners in business — and in love — Ronnie Shugar and Donda Mullis. From day one, Raw Sugar was created as a brand with heart with the goal of making healthy, clean living products available to the mainstream. This founding principle of leading with love was the catalyst for the Raw Sugar Initiative, our social give back, inspired by the belief that all people have the right to clean healthy living, regardless of social or economic background. If you’ve ever purchased any Raw Sugar product, you’ve been a part of the love — and the giving.
For every product sold, Raw Sugar Living donates 1 bar of soap for families in need, up to 5 million bars yearly. So every time you buy, we give. So far, we have donated over 11 million bars of soap… and counting. We are filled with gratitude that you are on this journey of love and kindness with us. It’s never been more important to pitch in.
Follow us @rawsugarliving_ !
If you haven’t joined the Tik Tok craze yet, it’s time to hop on. Tik Tok, the free viral social media app is basically a bite-size version of YouTube with videos ranging between 5 and 60 seconds . It’s a space that encourages creativity and where you can feel free to show what you’ve got — no matter how silly. Browse a few minutes and your feed will be full of inspiring dance moves, lip-sync silliness, adorable kids, puppies, practical jokes and general happiness.
You can watch, share or create your own videos —there’s bound to be an audience that shares your vibe. And who knows, you may even go viral!
So hop on, bust out your best air guitar or viral dance moves and follow us for giveaways and contests you’ll only find on Tik Tok. You’ll find us at @rawsugarliving_
Find out which Raw Sugar Hair Care product is right for your type.
Healthy self-care includes your hair, but shampoo and conditioner are not one size fits all. Finding the right hair care for your hair type could make the difference between life with lustrous locks or fighting the frizzies on a daily basis. That’s why we tailor our haircare line to specific needs. Check out which collection may be the perfect fit for you below.
For overworked, dehydrated hair that needs an extra shot of moisture and nourishment.
The Moisture Smoothie
Amazing for hair that’s dry and overworked and needs a heavy dose of moisture. The Moisture Smoothie Shampoo + Conditioner is a hair strengthening duo to achieve a tamed mane. This super hydrating formula with Cold Pressed Coconut + Agave + Sweet Almond Milk delivers thirst quenching nutrients to keep your hair sleek, shiny and vibrant.
For hair that doesn’t want to be weighed down, craves weightless body and bounce.
The Bounce Back
Add more life to your hair with our Bounce Back shampoo–infused with shine enhancing Cold Pressed carrot oil and vitamin-packed nutrients. Certified Organic mango butter & nourishing agave deliver weightless bounce and soft body, with a delicious mango scent.
For hair that is wild and unruly, needs curl-defining nourishment and frizz fighting power.
The Truly Unruly
Our Truly Unruly puts life back in your curls without weighing them down. The deeply cleansing formula is fortified with rich Avocado, cleansing Apple Cider Vinegar, and healing Rosemary Oil so your curls are under control but wild spirit is still fully intact!
For hair and scalp that is heavy with product build-up, needs a healthy detox and deep cleansing of the scalp to achieve stronger, longer hair.
The Scalp Restore
Get rid of scalp build-up with a formula made with plant-derived ingredients. You can achieve the perfect clean for scalp health and hair strength with this balancing, ultra-hydrating and clarifying trio. Activated Charcoal, Tea Tree extracts and Moringa Oil detoxes by lifting out product build-up and impurities, washing them clean away. Hair is nourished, detoxified and vibrant.
For tired, flat hair that needs a quick pick-me up between washes to revive volume and freshness.
Dry Shampoo Volume
This lush, gorgeous smelling Dry Shampoo is your go-to for quick volume between washes. The super-fresh formula is crafted with Bamboo Powder and organic Marshmallow Root extract to magically absorb oil and impurities so your hair instantly bounces back to life with added volume, revived vibrancy and beautifully fresh scent of watermelon and lychee.
For tired, dull hair that needs an instant boost of style between washes to add texture and revive freshness.
Dry Shampoo Texture
For flat, lifeless hair in need of extra style. This lush, plant-derived formula made with Bamboo Powder and organic Marshmallow Root extract to magically absorb oil and impurities to add instant texture for maximum style between washes. It revives stale hair with a beautifully fresh scent with hints of coconut, maqui berries, rose and cedarwood.
Turns out, tequila is not the only thing an Agave plant is good for. This razor sharp succulent is really an ancient healing modality used by the Aztecs. They would use the liquid center of the plant for everything from healing wounds and flavoring their food and drink to a remedy for skin issues. In fact, they believed Agave was a gift from the gods. We think it’s one of the most powerful, natural ingredients we can add to our arsenal of effective, clean, skin-loving products.
Agave is your go-to if you’re looking to refresh and rejuvenate your skin. Keep in mind, it’s good for all skin types, but we use it in our Sensitive Skin formula for its ability to restore, hydrate, calm and soothe irritated skin.
Here are a few more benefits:
- Agave contains natural surfactants — cleaners that help break down dirt and oils. They’re also one of the best known natural stimulants of hyaluronic acid that helps plump skin and boost collagen.
- Agave is full of vitamins B1, B2, C, D and K, and provitamin A.
- The vitamin C helps brighten skin and repair damage done by environmental pollutants and the sun.
- It is anti-aging and helps keep skin soft and supple, reducing the appearance of fine lines.
- Agave is incredibly hydrating. Perfect for dry, irritated skin.
- Agave soothes skin irritations and is a natural antiseptic.
- It is known to strengthen, add resiliency and add elasticity to hair.
How your feelings are tied to Watermelon vibes.
We already know, watermelon has incredible benefits for our skin with it’s rich vitamin C, antioxidant and moisture content. But what about the benefits of how watermelon’s smell?
Smell is our most primal sense and holds surprising sway over our emotions. The emotion we tie to a scent has a lot to do with our past. In fact, our previous experiences have a strong impact on how we experience a specific scent. It may bring up subconscious feelings of nostalgia, joy, comfort, happiness, or in the case of watermelon — a summer day.
Watermelon is no doubt summer’s most quintessential fruit. It represents long, lazy days in the sunshine, carefree feelings, picnics and poolside parties. So when we come across the scent of watermelon in self care products like our body washes, lotions and lip balms, we subconsciously think happy thoughts. Our brains are wired to go back to
lighthearted, thirst-quenching, cheerful, mood boosting feelings we had when we experienced watermelon. So next time you want to be uplifted, happy and fresh — reach for our Watermelon + Fresh Mint collection with all its moisture loving, skin softening, and spirit-lifting vibes. You’ll be happy you did.
Delicious food swaps for your celebration.
Celebrating the 4th of July is as American as apple pie and hot dogs. Add to that macaroni salad, potato salad full of mayo, pie-eating-contests and burgers on the grill and we go downhill on the food-that’s-good-for-you scale pretty quickly. Tradition aside, we thought we’d offer a few healthy menu swaps you can make so that your celebration aligns with your summer wellness goals.
Here’s to a happy, healthy 4th of July.
Menu Swap Ideas:
- Instead of regular hot dogs, offer Turkey dogs and vegan options.
- Replace beef burgers with healthy veg options or use grass-fed beef and put out fresh lettuce to wrap them in instead of buns.
- Make BBQ chicken in a slow cooker and make your own BBQ sauce. It’s easier than you think!
- Deviled eggs can be replaced with hard boiled eggs, cut in half and added to a crudite platter full of veggies and healthy dips like hummus or avocado dip.
- Instead of potato salad, try organic roasted potatoes with or without a chimichurri sauce or baked sweet potato “fries”.
- Rather than dousing your fruit salad with dressing, put fresh red, white and blue fruit such as watermelon cubes, grapes, strawberries and blueberries on skewers. Grilling fruit like peaches, nectarines and plums is an amazing side dish as well and really brings out summer fruit flavors.
- Replace baked beans which are loaded with brown sugar and preservatives with a healthy side bean salad. One with black beans, avocado, corn, tomatoes, red onion and a lime vinaigrette is a favorite.
- Coleslaw is loaded with mayo and sometimes buttermilk. Keep the cabbage, add some shredded carrots and use a vinegar based recipe instead. Better yet, serve a chopped fresh green salad with a homemade dressing of lemon, olive oil, a pinch of dry mustard and salt and pepper.
- Instead of pies full of butter and sugar, make a patriotic berry trifle with real cream so you can limit the sugar content or make a berry fruit crumble that is just like a pie, but with a healthier crispy topping made from almond flour, oats, a little maple syrup for sweetener and some chopped nuts.
Let love reign…or rein it in?
With five planets in retrograde and two full moons, July is a busy astrological month, full of girl power, finding our balance and honoring the Yin and Yang. We start the month in the midst of a Mercury retrograde, so we sadly don’t get to start off free from astrological baggage and it continues to be a time of expansion and contraction — especially where love is concerned.
Alpha-female Cancer is ruling the skies and this is no shrinking violet situation, as the Cancer-positioned planets will but heads with Pluto in masculine Capricorn on July 6 and 16. It will be imperative that we have the right balance of structure and sensuality, yin and yang, sensitivity and sensibility. A few ego battles or power struggles could certainly ensue along the way. Here’s hoping the Cancer new moon on July 15 will get us all put a little more love in our hearts. The Sun will move into fiery Leo on July 22, lightening up the mood swings. But, on July 25, TWO planets turn retrograde (backward): sensual Venus and rebellious Uranus. All manner of interpersonal relations can go wonky while Venus backslides until September 6—first in Virgo, then in Leo from July 31 onward. To add some kind of silver lining, it’s a favorable time to work on relationship issues, resolve conflicts or even to reunite with an ex if that’s a positive. Retrograde high season officially kicks into gear the last week of July with FIVE planets—Venus, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus and Pluto—all retrograde. It’s a great time to take a big, step backward and reflect on your life from a distance or even press pause. If you’ve been forcing an agenda, this is a good time to loosen your grip and let the universe lend an assist. The month ends with an Aquarius full moon on July 31. This one is also turbo-charged, so double the manifestations should be headed your way. Since Aquarius rules the unexpected, it’s anyone’s guess how things will come together. Embrace the spirit of adventure—and camaraderie.
To find out about your personal July Horscope, click here at Instyle.