Fighting frizz and taming fly-aways is a battle we all want to win. Understanding the root cause helps. Hair cuticles (the outer layer of the strand) that are dry or damaged have a rougher texture, allowing moisture to enter the strand, plumping it up, creating frizz. Here are our top 5 hair hacks that will give you smoother cuticles and sleeker styling.
- Use a Sulfate Free shampoo. Sulfates strip and dehydrate your strands leaving the cuticles rough and exposed. Basically, the opposite of what you want when looking to maintain moisture.
- Use Hair Masks or Moisture Boosters Weekly. Doing a deep-conditioning treatment at least once a week will help fill any gaps in your hair shaft smoothing out hair. For even deeper hydration, try applying your mask to dry hair—yes, dry—and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before hopping in the shower and rinsing it off.
- Use shampoo and conditioner with natural oils. Our Truly Unruly is the perfect example of a shampoo and conditioner with hair taming ingredients. This fierce frizz fighting shampoo contains rich Avocado, cleansing Apple Cider Vinegar and healing Rosemary Oil. Other natural oils that help smooth and shine are coconut, sunflower and shea butter and carrot oil.
- Ditch your towel and wring, don’t rub! Using the wrong towel can make — or break — your hair. Cotton towels actually create friction with your hair leading to frizz. A micro-fiber hair towel is a better idea to wrap your wet hair and gently wring out water, don’t rub.
- Change your pillowcase. If you’re still sleeping on cotton, it is time to switch to silk. A silk pillowcase will protect your hair while you sleep and it helps maintain your hair’s natural oils. The added bonus? It’s good for you skin and helps prevent wrinkles too! Winning!