Spa days, massages, facial treatments and expensive, trending beauty products are all part of magical self care rituals, but self care doesn’t have to be a splurge to have meaning and be effective. In fact, the best kind of self care are often the consistent things we can do from home, any day of the week and where cost isn’t a factor.
We’ve curated a list of some of the best low cost or no-cost self care ideas. Plan something just for you, every day and the benefits of loving and caring for yourself will keep growing. You deserve this.
•Meditation or breathing exercises for 10 minutes after waking. This will help center you, set your intentions and set the tone for your entire day. Even better if you think of 3 things you’re grateful for while you’re at it.
•Take a bath. Baths are so restorative both physically and mentally. Add some of our incredibly affordable Bath Fizzes, Foaming Bath or detoxifying Unfiltered Salt Soak for a special treat. The plant-derived ingredients nourish your skin while the scents uplift your spirits and refresh your soul.
•Deep condition your hair. How often do you use a masque on your hair? Give yourself an extra 10-15 minutes before you shower and use a face mask along with a hair masque to deep condition and restore your hair’s life and shine. Good hair days are pure confidence.
•Unplug. Turning off the phone for a period of time every day will quickly become addictive. At first, you may have a minor freak out, but when you see the world does not end when you unplug, you’ll come to relish the time unattached to responding and reacting.
•Eat intentionally. Is the food you put in your mouth caring for your body or is it a craving? Choose to cook yourself a warm, delicious meal instead of reaching for the craving that may or may not be an emotional reaction. Your eating will become more and more conscious every time you thoughtfully choose what to put in your body. Weekly meal prepping is also a great way to show yourself some serious love.
•Stargaze. Wrap yourself up in a blanket or jacket and go out at night and watch the stars. Dream. Imagine. Wonder. Just be.
•Be in nature. Go for a walk, sit in the grass and look at flowers growing. Hug a tree, even. Nature is the soul’s most inspiring friend.
•Wash with an uplifting scent. All our products are formulated to fill your senses with touch, texture and scent. An uplifting scent that fills your shower and makes you take a deep breath of something beautiful is such a boost to your day. Smelling good and facing the world clean is the ultimate self-care and confidence boost.
•Buy yourself flowers or pick them wild. Don’t wait for someone else to bring them. Be your own secret admirer.
Come follow us online!
You’ve heard the Vegan buzz. There are plant based “burgers” in your supermarket meat aisle and major fast food chains are beefing up their veg options. So if you’re thinking about a plant based diet, here’s just a glimpse into what that means and why you may want to try it.
There are a lot of reasons to go plant based. Overall better health and energy, avoiding chronic illness, helping the environment and maintaining a healthy weight are all by-products of following a whole food plant based diet. GREAT reasons to give it a try. But make sure you follow a WHOLE FOOD plant based diet and don’t get into the trap of thinking French Fries, vegan donuts and pastas (both plant based) are going to give you better health.
When you focus on whole foods that means basing your diet on natural foods that aren’t heavily processed. Plant based means foods that come from plants, and don’t include animal ingredients such as meat, milk and dairy products in general.
Here’s a quick rundown on the basic types of foods you can eat on a whole food, plant based diet:
Vegetables: Every kind of vegetable is encouraged with the exception of white potatoes as the mainstay of your diet. Let’s be real. If we thought we could get by on mashed potatoes or fries, we’d all do it.
Fruits: Every type of fruit is allowed.
Tubers: Root vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beets, etc. All good!
Whole grains: grains, quinoa, brown rice, millet, whole wheat, whole oats, barley, buckwheat, etc. are part of a plant based diet but in conjunction with other whole foods like vegetables and legumes or you’ll find yourself in an unbalanced, major carb-overload situation.
Legumes: Beans of any kind, plus lentils are a great source of protein.
Other Misc: Tempeh, Tofu, seeds and nuts are all allowed. Keep in mind, nuts are really high in calories, so keep nuts, nut based milks and butters as a snack or addition to meals instead of a mainstay if you have weight issues.
Another good idea, and something practiced by vegan athletes, is to supplement with a good quality protein supplement once a day, especially if you want to build muscle.
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” Buddha
The most important relationship you will ever have is with yourself. So if you find yourself single this Valentine’s Day, embrace it and use the opportunity to connect with yourself on a totally new level. Focus on the positive aspects of flying solo. Find the beauty in solitude. Be brave. Treat yourself. Be completely selfish and enjoy the gift of having time just for you.
Here are some great ways to show yourself some love on a date night for one.
- Have a self-care day. Walk in nature. Take a bath. Meditate. Cook for yourself. Take one full day to just care for you with special products that make you smell good and feel good, music that lights your soul and food that nourishes you.
- Take a new exercise class. Sign up for yoga, dance, pilates or a new cycling class. Try something different and embrace the challenge of moving in new ways.
- Find a fun workshop, special event or take a cooking class. Trying new things and meeting new people may light a spark that lasts much longer than a day.
- Get inspired. See art. Go to the theater. See a movie. Art inspires creative thinking and reminds you that we live in a big, beautiful world.
- Movie Marathon: Snuggle up. Make popcorn, pick a couple of the Oscar contenders and watch the ones you missed.
- Book a spa day. Getting a massage or a facial will do wonders for your soul. Hang out. Steam. Order a glass of champagne. You deserve it.
- Do something kind for someone else. Plan to do something special for a neighbor or co-worker. Bake something sweet for friends. Just showing some love to others is honoring your best self.
- Sight see in your own town. Make a day of seeing all the sights in your own town you never get a chance to see. Book a table at the hottest restaurant. Take your camera with you for the full tourist vibes.
- Give your bedroom a refresh. Why not spend a day making your room a prettier place to be? Buy some new bedding or pillows for the bed. An update in an instant uplift.
- Table for one. Be brave. Eating alone can often feel awkward, but if you really embrace it, make an event out of it and savor it, it can be an incredibly powerful experience.
- Buy yourself flowers. Your favorites. Bunches of them. You know what you like.
- Give yourself a mini-makeover. Buy a new dress, go to the makeup counter for new spring colors and then go out for a cocktail at the swankiest bar in town.
Whatever you do, remember, time alone can be empowering in your quest for the ultimate love affair — the one you have with yourself. Enjoy it.
Come follow us online!
Give some Sugar. Give some Love.
Raw Sugar is a gift of love. To your partner, your Galentines and to yourself. Here are some of our best gift ideas no matter who you’re sweet on.
Man Love: Raw Men Body Washes and Bar Soaps come in the most amazing scents. Pick your favorite and let him know how sexy he is when he smells good! Bonus, try a His/Hers Gift Exchange and let him pick out a new body wash for you too.
Pure Romance: Create the ultimate romantic bath basket with a Sugar Scrub, Body Butter and Foaming Bath. Then light some candles, grab some champagne and enjoy a foaming bath for you — or for two.
Keep Things Fresh: Give our brand new White Grapefruit + Rosemary scent in Body Wash and Hand Wash. It’s brand new and will keep the love and vibes alive.
Fizzy Love: Our Bath Fizzers make bath time fun, fresh and relaxing. The bright colors and scents are mind boosters and body refreshers.
Gift of Time: Put a bow on our brand new dry shampoos and you’re giving a free pass for days of great hair with no washing.
Hair Detox: Create a beautiful gift box full of our new Scalp Restore collection. It’s a detox for a healthy scalp and full bodied beauty.
Remember, whenever you buy any product, Raw Sugar donates a bar of soap to a family in need. Let’s spread the love.
Tips on reusing your Raw Sugar packaging.
Using eco-friendly packaging is key to helping the environment but if you want to take your love for Mother Nature one step further, why not think about recycling and repurposing your Raw Sugar packaging? It’s a great way to eliminate waste, cut down on plastic purchases and keep your home tidy and organized while you’re at it.
Here are some room by room ideas on how you can put your used Raw Sugar Body Butter and Sugar Scrub containers to use.
Use them to plant and grow small herbs for cooking.
Wrap them in burlap, tie a ribbon around it and plant succulents
Keep loose pens and pencils contained.
Wash containers and use for holding nuts, dried fruits or candy for the kids.
Contain hair bands
Toothbrushes and toothpaste holder
Make up brush holder
Pen and pencil holder
Paper clip holder
Kids crayons or other art supplies such as paint brushes or pens and pencils
Come follow us online!
It’s time to make SPF your new BFF. If you’re not wearing sunscreen with some amount of SPF every day, you need to bring it in and make it a part of your high vibe tribe now. SPF is like a bodyguard for your face. Just a bit every morning before you go out will help protect you from all the harm lurking in pollutants, the sun and prevent premature aging.
With the depletion of the ozone layer, our risk of sun damage from harmful UV rays has increased exponentially. Research shows the daily use of an SPF 15 sunscreen can reduce your risk of developing squamous cell carcinoma by about 40%, and lower your melanoma risk by 50%.
On top of skin’s actual health, using an SPF will help keep it looking healthy too. Daily use can prevent premature aging caused by the sun, including wrinkles, sagging and age spots all making you look older and less vibrant. Make sure you use it even when the sun’s not out, the UVB rays are still present even in cold, windy, overcast weather.
So who’s your friend now? SPF. Do not leave home without it.
Come follow us online!
Dehydration is the devil. For real. Not getting enough h20 affects us in serious ways; brain fog, headaches, nausea, fatigue, dry and dull skin, loss of elasticity, stress on our vital organs — and that’s just to name a few. So why is it so hard to drink more water? If you’re like most people, you probably just forget.
If you’re serious about getting your skin to glow, your mind clear and want to operate at peak performance, keep a reusable glass or carafe on hand and play some creative games to trick yourself into getting more water in your day. It may just be the key to remembering to hydrate. Happy sipping!
- Every time someone sends you a text, take three sips of water.
- Every time you put on your Raw Sugar, take 3 big gulps of water. (Remember, it helps your skin to glow!)
- Every time you check your email messages, take four sips.
- Every time you sit down at your desk, or get up, drink five sips.
- Every time you make a phone call, drink a full glass.
The focus on the health of our planet has never been greater. Between fires raging, animals on the verge of extinction, rainforest devastation and a vortex of over 1.8 trillion plastic pieces floating between California and Hawaii, the enormity of the situation and lack of solutions can feel overwhelming. The question becomes what can we do as individuals and how can we empower ourselves to help while living our day to day? With the idea that small consistent action produces epic results, what if we did one thing, consistently to be part of the solution? And, what if we got healthy while we were doing our part to keep the planet healthy?
Some creative souls from around the globe have come up with ingenious ways to save the planet while getting in shape. Here are a few that are currently trending.
Plogging: Plogging is really jogging, and picking up litter while you’re doing it. The trend started in Sweden and has since gone global. People have been seen Plogging in Southeast Asia, Japan and other countries around the globe. Why not start a Plogging group in your neighborhood?
Strawkling: Strawkling is basically the act of snorkeling or diving while picking up plastic straws, bags and even discarded fishing lines that are causing so much harm to our sea life. Any plastic we can get out of our oceans and keep away from sea life is a big deal. If you’re a diver or snorkeler, starting a monthly clean up with your snorkeling or diving buddies could have a big impact.
#TrashTag Movement: The #TrashTag movement is a social media effort to encourage picking up trash. Sharing it on social media will hopefully create a domino affect and inspire others to do the same. Way better than sharing pics of what you had for #dinner.
Green Gym Movement: The Green Gym movement is a conservation effort for people who love to work outdoors and in nature. Green Gymers help trim trees and prune bushes in public parks, donating some free time to help the environment thrive.
The scary fact is that by 2050, experts believe that there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish. Anything you can do to help keep our planet healthy while you get yourself healthy is a major step, swim or dive in the right direction.
Is there such a thing as the Mango glow? Mangoes are full of 20 different minerals and vitamins, making it one of the most nutrient dense fruits available. The benefits from eating them are endless and the benefits for your skin are just as impressive. Check out just 10 of the ways your skin can benefit from using the King of Fruits in self care products.
- The Mango glow is real. The vitamins A, C and Beta Carotene all contribute to skin cell renewal giving skin radiance and glow.
- The abundance of vitamin A in mangoes can help improve fine lines and wrinkles, helping to keep skin elastic and firm.
- Mangoes are a great exfoliator. Not only the enzymes in mango help renew skin cells, it can also slough off dead skin, allowing new skin cells to emerge.
- Mango works as a natural astringent helping to clear up pores, blackheads and scarring.
- Mangoes vitamin A content can reduce the damage of UV rays and protects against free radicals.
- Mango extract is hydrating (thank you, vitamin E) and may help with skin tone.
- Mangoes have Vitamin B6 that reduces skin sebum (oily skin).
- The Magnesium in Mango helps reduce oil, acne and rosacea.
- Mangoes have vitamin K that help reduce stretch marks and may have a positive effect on spider veins.
- Mangoes are high in both antioxidants and phytochemicals that protect the body from free radicals that damage the skin and induce premature aging.