December 5, 2019
Relax and reset.
The holidays make us all a little crazy. Whether you’re hosting happy holiday get togethers or attending and raiding the party buffet, we could all use a day to reset.
Giving yourself one day to detox can do wonders for your peace of mind and get your focus back on what’s important.
Here’s how to take 24 hours just for you and refocus your mind, body and spirit.
- Wake up naturally, preferably with the sun and first thing, make yourself some warm lemon water. It clears night time sluggishness and helps your body wake up your digestive track. Not to mention, provides a good boost of vitamin C.
- Take 15 or 20 minutes to do some gentle stretching, deep breathing and meditation. When you begin the day with intention, its a game changer. Start with simple deep breathing as you stretch and wake up your body. Then be still, get comfortable and meditate — start with a list of a few things that you are you grateful for, including your own body; visualize and feel the emotions of gratitude and sending out love and kindness in to the world. To go even further, visualize all the things you’d like to have happen in your perfect day.
- Take a shower or bath using natural lemon products to lift your spirits. The scent of lemon has an uplifting affect on your mind as well as a detoxifying affect on your body. Raw Sugar has an entire line of Lemon Sugar scented natural products from Body Wash, Bar Soap and Sugar Scrub to Lotion, rich Body Butter and Natural Lip Balm. It will leave you feeling fresh, pampered and clear-headed.
- Eat the rainbow. December is a month where we’re all about comfort food and we often neglect our big, fresh salads loaded with veggies or fruits. If you need warmth, Add roasted veggies like squash, beets and carrots to a green salad topped with olive oil and lemon and a few walnuts for crunch.
- Take a walk in nature. Whether you head out your front door and cruise the neighborhood or drive to the beach or hills — it’s all good. The point is to be outside, look at the sky, notice the trees, feel the fresh air and breathe.
- To avoid the afternoon lull, eat something rich in protein (avoid anything sugary) Try a rice cake with nut butter, a hard boiled egg or your favorite protein smoothie.
- Move. Get some exercise. Put on some music, dance around the house, take a yoga class, spin or do whatever you love to do that moves your body and makes you feel alive.
- Cook for yourself and eat dinner on the early side. The simple act of cooking something healthy and delicious for yourself has a profound effect on your self worth. It’s an act of love. Eating early will give your body a chance to digest and may help you have a more restful sleep as well.
- Unplug. At least one hour before you go to bed, unplug from your phone and other electronics. Light some candles. Have some tea. Put on soft music, read a book, write in a journal. Turning off from the constant buzz of electronics alone can help you feel more mindful and in control.
- Take a minute to reflect. When you take life more slowly and practice some self care are your body and spirit more aligned? Do you feel kinder thoughts about yourself and others?
- Go to bed early. Getting enough sleep not only helps your immune system, it has the biggest affect on your overall health from body to brain. Making a commitment to resting and getting enough sleep is the single most important thing you can do for your well being.
Image from: https://veganliftz.com