Winter is SO GOOD for your skin… said literally no one ever. From dryness to flakiness and even scaliness – those few bitter and frosty months are no friend to your complexion. First you notice a dry patch on your chin, then your elbows start to get a little rougher, and then – before you know it, the skin on your hands is cracking in a desperate plea for help from this unsettling change in temperature.
But we believe cooler weather should be celebrated, not chastised. Think chunky, cozy sweaters, warm cinnamon and turmeric lattes, and nights in watching old Goldie Hawn movies by the fireplace. Heaven. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of good-to-know tips that’ll allow you to be be properly prepared for the frost and enjoy the best of the cold months flake-free and fabulous. Because, let it be said… winter is coming.
1. Don’t just moisturize… nourish.
Many people don’t know the difference between moisturizing and nourishing. But there is one. A big one. Nourishing means you get nutrients – you’re feeding your skin the good stuff, and your oil levels are being replenished. It’s richer and REALLY beneficial to dry skin.
Moisturizing, on the other hand, means that only your hydration levels are being addressed. So, to kill two birds with one stone and attend to both dry and dehydrated skin, use a nutrient-rich, thick body butter like Raw Sugar’s Raw Coconut + Mango or Pineapple + Maqui Berry + Coconut butters – made with ColdPressed extracts to lock in a bunch of skin-loving nutrients. Just what thirsty skin needs.
2. Take it easy in the shower.
When you feel the chill, fight the urge to have a hot ’n’ steamy shower. Hot showers can strip your skin of its natural oil barrier, which helps keep the moisture in. To prevent this from happening, keep your shower warm, sure, but not hot. And don’t linger. A quick 10 minutes will ensure your skin isn’t being stripped of its natural oils (plus it’s good for the environment!). And try to work in your body butter straight out of the shower when your pores are soft and open.
3. Be gentle with your cleanser.
Cleansers can be harsh. They’re often packed with chemicals and fragrances that dry out your precious complexion. To avoid this, use a gentle and natural skin cleanser that works to hydrate your skin as well as clean it. Raw Sugar’s Reviving Facial Cleanser does the trick – it’s packed with vitamins, fruit extracts and all-round natural goodness.
4. Glove yourself.
Our poor, precious, hardworking hands are one of the first places on our body we notice dry skin. Care for your hands and prevent them from cracking by giving them protection in the form of gloves. Get a nice pair of thick, warm ones to wear outside when it’s cold – and make sure you use rubber gloves when doing the dishes or housework that involves dunking your hands in water. Don't forget to also moisturize after washing your hands to replenish your hand hydration. Trust us – your mitts will thank you for it.
5. Sleep with a humidifier.
It’s all well and good to keep your home warm and cozy with heating in the winter, but it means that much of the moisture in the air gets sucked out. And with dry air comes dry skin. Enter the humble humidifier. Humidifiers work wonders in replenishing the moisture of the air indoors and preventing parched skin. Keep one in your bedroom for a more regulated sleeping environment.
6. Shaving matters.
Put your hand up if you stop shaving your legs in winter. Ok, that rules out 90% of you – so the other 10% that keeps their pins silky and smooth even when they’re being hidden away by stockings and leggings, listen up. Shaving can irritate dry skin – and scrape away its natural oils. To care for your skin mid-shave, always use a proper shaving cream, oil or gel – and ensure that you’re shaving in the right direction, which is against the direction of the hair growth, for those wondering. A sharp razor is also essential as blunt ones just cause added irritation to your skin. Don't forget to separate razors based on the area you use it to shave to avoid infections as well!
7. Be sun smart (even when it’s cold).
The sun is one of the major causes of dry and irritated skin. And make no mistake, just because it’s not sizzling out there doesn’t mean you’re not being hit with UV rays when you’re outdoors. Your body is probably safe with all the layers you’re wearing, but be sure to use an SPF 30 facial sun screen (year-round, that is) on your face in addition to your makeup and/or moisturizer. And to prevent chapped lips, keep them protected with an SPF 15 lip balm and reapply regularly